For complete detailed instructions and to download and print forms, see link below.
If you have questions, you may contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (518) 388-4300 ext. 5135
All References Must Be Received Before You Can Be Fingerprinted.
YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL when all four references have been received.
Fingerprinting is done on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 12:00pm-2:00pm and Thursdays from 6:00pm to 8:00pm, NO APPOINTMENT REQUIRED. Bring your applications, letters to the judge, safety course certificate and any certifications of disposition.
The fee for this service is $116.50 and may only be paid with a MONEY ORDER payable to Schenectady County. The Sheriff is not authorized to accept checks, credit cards, or cash. NO CHILDREN are allowed to accompany you while you are fingerprinted.
What Happens Next:
- You will receive written notification when your background check is complete and your and your application is forwarded to the County Clerk's Office for final review.
- When the Judge completes his evaluation of your application, YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL. If approved, you will receive an appointment notice.
- Your appointment is with the County Clerk's Office: 620 State Street - 3rd Floor.
- Your permit will be issued at that appointment. There is a $10 fee due at the time of permit issuance. If you are adding more than one handgun, there is an additional fee of $3.00 per handgun. Information on additional handguns must have been submitted with your original application - any guns acquired after submitting your application will require an additional appointment.
- Payment to the County Clerk can be made by cash or personal check payable to the Schenectady County Clerk.